1. Introduction to the position
EURECAT Nutrition and Health Unit research group is looking for a Research Assistant in Microbiota-Gut-brain axis to work on the characterization and assessment of Alzheimer’s disease. In addition, the successful candidate will be responsible for investigating therapeutic targets and contributing to the development of personalized models for cognitive disorders associated with Alzherimer’s disease.
The contract will be within the framework of the “Desarrollo de modelos personalizados para el estudio del eje microbiota-intestino-cerebro en la progresión de trastornos cognitivos asociados a la enfermedad de Alzheimer (ADGUT)” project prioritized by the IBEC under the “Plan Complementario de Biotecnología aplicada a la Salud” (Biotechnology Applied to Health).
This Plan Complementario is co-financed by the Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación and the Generalitat de Catalunya, with funds from the European Union NextGenerationEU (PRTR-C17.I1)
2. Main duties and responsibilities:
Under the direction of Nadia Ortega, the applicant will carry out the following research activities:
- Develop microbiota-gut-brain axis animal models to advance into the understanding of the role of microbiota in Alzheimer’s disease.
- Investigate the Microbiota-Gut-Brain Axis to identify potential therapeutic targets, contributing to the development of personalized models for cognitive disorders associated with Alzheimer’s disease.
- Collaborate with the interdisciplinary team to integrate Microbiota-Gut-Brain Axis findings into the broader context of the project, ensuring a comprehensive understanding of the microbiota’s role in cognitive health.
The selected candidate will be located at Nutrition and Health Unit facilities (Biotechnology area) located in Reus.
Deadline: 25 February 2024
For more details and access to the application form please click here.
- Requirements for candidates
- Bachelor or Ph.D. in Biology, Biochemistry, Health Science, or a related field
- Experience in animal models
- Expertise on molecular biology methods, such as quantitative PCR (qPCR), Western blot, Immunohistochemical analysis and microbial community analysis
- Competencies and skills: Communication, Teamwork and collaboration, Commitment, Proactivity, Integrity, Critical and Analytical thinking
- High level of English
- Prior experience in conducting mouse behaviour studies and histology
- Prior experience in flow cytometry analysis
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: By 1st of April 2024
- Working conditions:
- Full time 16-month contract. Attractive salary
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
- Stimulating, interdisciplinary research and high-quality international scientific environment.
- IBEC ensures equality of access to professional development opportunities irrespective of employment status, length at IBEC or other factors. The IBEC’s yearly training catalogue offers a wide range of training in technical and transferable skills including mobility grants and a Mentoring programme for predoctoral and postdoctoral researchers.
- Induction programme to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support is provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permit and to install in Barcelona.
How to apply:
Only those applications submitted before the deadline will be evaluated.
Reference: PPCC- ADGUT_1
If you have any further questions regarding your application or the application process, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions regarding a project or the Complementary Plan, please get in touch with us at email@example.com
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent and Merit based Recruitment principles (OTM-R).
IBEC´s Commitment on equal opportunity:
Our strength and excellence as an international transdisciplinary Research Institute are based on diversity. Being an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity and inclusion, so that we support employees irrespective of their gender, nationality, religion, disabilities, age, sexual identity or cultural and socioeconomic background.”
For Postdoctoral and JR GL positions:
IBEC aims for a representative gender balance at all levels of staff, so we strongly encourage women to apply. At least 40% of shortlisted applicants invited to interview have to be women with comparable level of CVs as the male candidates.
Protection of personal data:
IBEC guarantees that candidates’ personal data are processed in accordance with the requirements of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Law 3/2018 on Data Protection.
Personal data will be processed solely for the purposes of the selection process.